with apologies for their lateness, here are some questions for house groups this week.
Theme The Wondrous Cross: welcome home
Bible passages: Luke 15.11-24; 1 John 2.28-3.10
1. How do you feel about the image of restoration and why?
2. Read the story of the lost son (Luke 15.11-24). Why do you think the Father lets the son have his inheritance and leave?
3. Sharon spoke about the lost son learning about humility. Why was that necessary for his restoration?
4. In what ways does the Father restore his son?
5. Read Luke 15.25-32. In his book ‘The Prodigal God’, Timothy Keller describes this parable as the story of the two lost sons. He writes about the dangers for those who have been Christians for a long time behaving like the older son. In what ways does the older son need restoration too?
6. Read 1 John 2.28-3.10. We can be children of God because of what Jesus did for us on the cross. What might it mean for you to live as a child of God?
7. What is God asking you to do as a result of what he has said to you through this passage? It might be something to pray about, something to think more about, something he wants you to talk to someone about or something he wants you to do. Make a note of it so you don’t forget!
‘See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!’ 1 John 3.1
Why not spend some time thanking God for the love he has lavished on us?
Revd Rebecca Fardell