Sunnyside Church is governed by elected members of the Parochial Church Council (PCC). They meet approximately five times a year and are elected at the Annual Parochial Church Meeting (APCM) which the whole church is invited to attend.
The role of the PCC is to:
- Support the vicar in carrying out the mission of the church
- Represent church members
- Act as Charity trustees – a legal role
- Take an active involvement in the leadership of the church.
- Represent Sunnyside on the Deanery Synod, a meeting of local Anglican churches.
The 2018/2019 PCC:
Vicar: Rebecca Fardell
Church Wardens: Chris Stewart, Tony Wager
Deanery Synod: John Cartwright, Jane Lines, Charis Geoghegan, Marguerite Craig
PCC Members: Shawn Baggs (Treasurer), Lesley Culley, Richard Coles, Fiona Wilcock, Lucia White, Nigel Eckert, Penny Harrison
Co-opted Member: N/A
Members without voting rights: Kath Jones (PCC Secretary), Sharon Fowler (Children’s & Families Worker), Jonathan Hall – new appointment starting half-term October 2018 (Youth Worker), Pam Davis (Lay Reader)
Anyone can be elected to the PCC as long as they are registered on the Electoral Roll. All who call Sunnyside Church their church are encouraged to join the electoral roll and become part of the wider Sunnyside family.
The Annual Parochial Church Meeting is a yearly meeting that all members of the electoral roll are expected to attend. Click the link to read the Annual Report and Accounts
To read the minutes from the 2017/18 APCM, please click the link APCM Minutes 2017/18
To read the minutes from September’s PCC meeting please click the link PCC Minutes September 2018
At Sunnyside we also have five mission groups, who take responsibility for the day to day running of the church. The Mission Groups meet more frequently than the PCC and each contain an elected PCC representative. The mission groups discuss the ins and outs of church life, allowing the PCC to concentrate on larger issues of strategy and vision.
The five mission groups are:
- Pastoral – taking responsibility for work with the elderly, bereaved and pastoral care of the church.
- Finance – the unenviable task of making sure the books are balanced!
- Youth – includes all work with 0-18s.
- Projects – taking the lead on all new and exciting initiatives at Sunnyside. A meeting open to all with great ideas!
- Stewardship – this group cares for the church hall, kitchen and all properties that Sunnyside is responsible for.
Each Mission Group is led by a Mission Group Chairperson who meet as a group with the Vicar and Church Wardens before each PCC meeting.
Part of the role of serving on the PCC is to represent church members. So do feel free to approach any PCC member to discuss an issue.