Many of you have been asking how can you help the asylum seekers in the area. Rachel has been liaising with organisations to find a way for us to help support these people in the best way possible. They say that we can practically help in the following ways:
- They need volunteers to meet with some of the asylum seekers, to listen and to chat with them at a safe distance. There will be COVID safety rules put in place to protect both volunteers and asylum seekers. The asylum seekers being in the area is a sensitive matter and needs to be dealt with carefully. We want to support them as much as we can but in best and safe way.
- Providing them with second hand clothing which is still in good condition. Or new clothing such as socks, underwear or footwear.
- Additional Food. They don’t have cooking facilities but food such as cereal bars, nuts, dried fruit or snacks that can be a top up during the day.
- Donations which can go towards new clothing or necessities that they aren’t getting funding for.
- If you or anyone you know has any unwanted smart phones that you could donate to the asylum seekers which can help them keep in contact with family, support agencies and the home office.
Due to the current pandemic, online bank transfer to the Sunnyside Church bank account is best. Our bank details are:
Account name: PCC St Michaels Sunnyside
Sort code: 60-02-21
Account number: 51858339
Reference: Asylum Seekers
Equally, we understand this isn’t an option for everyone. If so, please place a cheque or cash donation, either in an envelope and write on the front ‘Private & Confidential, The Treasurer, Asylum Seekers’. These can be placed in the church office letterbox; or posted into a plastic yellow bucket which will be available at church services throughout October.
Gift Aid: if you haven’t yet signed a Declaration Form please download a copy of the form and email to our Treasurer, Shawn Baggs ([email protected]) or include the form in the envelope with your gift. If you wish to opt out of Gift Aid for Gift Day please contact Shawn or mark your envelope ‘Not Gift Aid’.
A huge thank you to those who are already helping and don’t forget that we can all help by praying for the asylum seekers and those seeking to care for them.
If you are able to help in any of the above ways or want more information about how to help please contact Rachel Hamilton either by email [email protected] or mobile: 07786834061.