Sunnyside Church is governed by elected members of the Parochial Church Council (PCC). They meet approximately five times a year and are elected at the Annual Parochial Church Meeting (APCM) which the whole church is invited to attend.
The role of the PCC is to:
- Support the vicar in carrying out the mission of the church
- Represent church members
- Act as Charity trustees – a legal role
- Take an active involvement in the leadership of the church.
- Represent Sunnyside on the Deanery Synod, a meeting of local Anglican churches.
The 2017/2018 PCC:
Vicar: Rebecca Fardell
Church Wardens: Evelyn Wotherspoon, Chris Stewart
Deanery Synod: John Cartwright, Jane Lines, Charis Geoghegan, Tony Wager
PCC Members: Shawn Baggs (Treasurer), Lesley Culley (Deputy Church Warden), Richard Coles, Fiona Wilcock, Lucia White, Karen Stananought, Nigel Eckert, Jools Randall-Stratton
Co-opted Member: N/A
Members without voting rights: Kath Jones (PCC Secretary), Sharon Fowler (Children’s & Families Worker), Tom Hodkinson (Youth Worker), Pam Davis (Lay Reader)
Anyone can be elected to the PCC as long as they are registered on the Electoral Roll. All who call Sunnyside Church their church are encouraged to join the electoral roll and become part of the wider Sunnyside family.
The Annual Parochial Church Meeting is a yearly meeting that all members of the electoral roll are expected to attend. The Annual Report and Accounts can be read here. To read the minutes from the 2016/17 APCM, please click here.
The minutes from March’s PCC meeting are available to read here.
At Sunnyside we also have six mission groups, who take responsibility for the day to day running of the church. The Mission Groups meet more frequently than the PCC and each contain an elected PCC representative. The mission groups discuss the ins and outs of church life, allowing the PCC to concentrate on larger issues of strategy and vision.
The six mission groups are:
- Pastoral – taking responsibility for work with the elderly, bereaved and pastoral care of the church.
- Finance – the unenviable task of making sure the books are balanced!
- Youth – includes all work with 0-18s.
- Projects – taking the lead on all new and exciting initiatives at Sunnyside. A meeting open to all with great ideas!
- Stewardship – this group cares for the church hall, kitchen and all properties that Sunnyside is responsible for.
- Worship – this includes overseeing the services, music and prayer life of Sunnyside.
Each Mission Group is led by a Mission Group Chairperson who meet as a group with the Vicar and Church Wardens before each PCC meeting.
Part of the role of serving on the PCC is to represent church members. So do feel free to approach any PCC member to discuss an issue.